Diagnosis
(no pictures)
Tuesday Dec. 20
Scott and I went to Salt Lake to have my Fetal Echo Cardiogram at Primary Children's it took about 45 minutes. After the Echo the cardiologist took us into a grief room which we then figured was bad. Then they brought in a social worker and a fetal heart coordinator. The cardiologist told us the baby's Ebstein's Anomaly was severe, he had fluid in his lungs, his stomach, around the umbilical cord and his heart was already enlarged.
It was a complete shock, at my last appointment there was no extra fluid. So the fact that this happened in 3 weeks was not good. It was really hard to take it all in.
She said that the baby wouldn't make it full term but that they would watch him every week to every other week, depending on how he was doing. She said they didn't want to take him early because the fluid in his lung might have made it so his lungs are not developed as far as they should be. She wanted the baby to "cook" as long as possible.
If he survived birth then he would have to have multiple heart surgeries. The first surgery would be no earlier then 2 days old then he would have another surgery at 6 months old. He would have to have around 4 more surgeries depending on how me was doing. It would be a really long road.
They got me an appointment for the 28th with Dr. Jackson in St. George then another appointment at Primary Children's on the 13th of January.
The drive home was VERY LONG I cried almost the whole time off and on. Scott and I talked a lot and tried to help each get through the hard times that would be ahead.
Wednesday Dec. 21
It was a long rough day but at the end of the night Scott and I decided we would get a bag ready for the baby just in case he needed to be taken early and in case he didn't make it, I also wanted to start getting a bag ready for me. We spent the night talking about how to get through the pain. By the end of the night we both were feeling a little bit better and ready to take on whatever was thrown our way. I also had a list of items I wanted to get for the baby, the littlest jammies I could find, little blanket, a cute hat and his green elephant Stella picked out for him.

1 comment:
I'm so sorry Rach! I can't even imagine how hard it would be to receive that news! You are strong, and I know you can make it through what lies ahead. Prayers for you, your baby boy & your little family!!
Post a Comment